Ever loved a hat so much that you can’t put it away? It’s understandable to use it often, but wearing it day after day may cause it to quickly become dirty and loose.
As with any piece of clothing, your favorite hat also stretches out bit by bit when worn repeatedly. This doesn’t automatically mean that you must bid your beloved hat a farewell and get a new one each time.
3 Best Ways to Shrink Polyester Hat
In this article, we have run down the top tricks to shrink a fitted hat so that it can perfectly fit the size of your head.
To kick off your shrinking technique, you must first determine the material the hat is made of. The natural fibers will easily shrink inside the washing machine and dryer, even with normal heat if the fabric is made of cotton.
For wool hats, on the other hand, simple handwashing can do the job of shrinking it. This fabric type is delicate and is prone to be molded in its shape.
Meanwhile, if your hat is of polyester material, a more refined and intensive method is needed. These synthetic materials tend to be more resistant to shrinking.
Read further to learn the step-by-step instructions on how to shrink a polyester hat and
figure out which method is the best for you.
If your hat has been loosening up too much that you can no longer wear it, the handwashing method is the answer.
1. Fill a container with hot water: You may use your sink or tub, as long as it’s clean. Make sure that the water is just steaming, not boiling. Water that is too hot can ruin your hat’s structure or discolor it permanently.
2. Add cleaning product: Non-bleach and mild detergent are added next. Add only a tablespoon of it and swish around until it’s dissolved. Dish soap is an alternative.
3. Submerge the hat in the water: Do not do this with bare heads. Either wear industrial gloves or use kitchen tongs to avoid getting burnt. Let it sit for about half an hour.
4. Rinse off the soap: Drain the container and let clean water run through your hat.
5. Let it dry: Place it on a fresh towel and let it air dry for at least half an hour. This is where the shrinking process starts.
6. Use a hairdryer: To speed up the shrinking, use a blow dryer on medium heat. Hold the hat and let it suspend in the air, or wear it around your head as it dries up to the size of your crown.
Machine Washing Method
Using a washing machine is the most convenient shrinking method since it’s faster and easier. However, careful handling is needed so that the hat won’t get ruined. Using a garment bag or pillowcase can also prevent damages to the hat.
1. Put the hat inside a garment bag: Although polyester hats are resilient, it’s recommended to avoid the chances of having it damaged by putting it inside a garment bag. Keep it sealed with a zipper or a clip.
2. Load the machine with clothes: Putting similarly colored clothes can help speed up the shrinking process by increasing pressure inside the machine.
3. Use hot water or high heat setting: Pour in a tablespoon of mild laundry. Do not use bleach, as this will ruin and discolor your hat. Use a high heat setting to activate shrinking.
4. Throw it in the dryer: If the hat still does not fit your head, toss it in the dryer. Use only medium heat to protect it. Check the size every once in a while.
5. Let it dry: To finish off, place it on a clean and dry towel and let it air dry. This will allow the fibers to shrink in and conform to their original size.
Take a Shower
The shower method works best for those looking for a sure way to shrink the hat. It’s like giving a new twist to your old shower cap.
1. Plop the hat on your head.
2. Shower as you do. Completely soak the crown and allow it to stay wet for at least five minutes. Leave the showerhead on until the crown is completely soaked.
3. Rinse off. Dab some dry towel and make sure that it does not drip anymore before taking it out.
4. Dry it out. Once you’re done showering, you can dry it out by placing it on a clean towel inside a well-ventilated room. For best results, you can dry the hat while wearing it. It might take hours, but this will guarantee you an optimal shrinking effect.
Even if you think your polyester hat is beyond saving, there is always a solution to make it look like how it was when you bought it. No need to spend excessive money on frequently buying new hats!
Whether it’s tossing it in the washing machine, cleaning it in the sink, or just scrubbing it down, shrinking a polyester hat is no sweat!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Do hats shrink?
Your favorite hat can shrink via exposure to sweat and humidity. If you want to shrink your hat, you must first determine the material the hat is made of. If the fabric is made of cotton, the natural fibers will easily shrink inside the washing machine and dryer, even with normal heat.
- Can you shrink a fitted hat in the dryer?
If the hat still does not fit your head, you can try to shrink your hat in the dryer. Use only medium heat to protect it. Check the size every once in a while.
- Which method is the best for shrinking polyester hats?
All three methods are sure to shrink polyester hats. However, the most ideal method still is the shower technique. This has been the go-to solution for loose hats since long ago.